The World Association of Non-Governmental Organizations is a global organization whose mission is to serve its member organizations, strengthen and encourage the non-governmental sector as a whole, increase public understanding of the non-governmental community, and provide the mechanism and support needed for NGOs to connect, partner, and multiply their contributions to solve humanity's basic problems.
The World Association of Non-Governmental Organizations adopts as its mandate the following purposes and objectives:
- To unite NGOs worldwide in the cause of advancing world peace, as well as well-being at all levels - individual, family, tribal, national, and world;
- To assist its member organizations in accomplishing their tasks relative to creating a better society and world: economically, socially, environmentally, politically, and morally;
- To empower its worldwide membership by acting as one strong and unified voice in advancing conflict resolution and moral solutions to pressing global, national, and social problems;
- To serve its member organizations by acting as their advocate and spokesman at the international level on issues of mutual concern, by working in partnership with the United Nations and other intergovernmental bodies to voice concerns and advance objectives of the membership, and by providing forums for interaction and exchange of information among its members;
- To unite NGOs worldwide in support of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, with particular emphasis on promoting (a) human dignity, as outlined in Article 1, (b) tolerance, as outlined in Article 2, (c) the family, as outlined in Article 16, and (d) religious freedom, as outlined in Article 18;
- To give greater voice to smaller NGOs beyond their national borders, including NGOs from developing countries and countries with economies in transition; and
- To provide international conferences and symposia as a foundation for the building of moral and healthy individuals, families, societies, and nations.